7 COCONUT OIL USES OTHER THAN HAIR
This post is long over due, I love coconut oil but not so much for my hair. This oil is great for conditioning and reducing dandruff when used with rosemary/peppermint oil but that’s it. It doesn’t stimulate blood flow on its own like other oils, Neither does it encourage cell regrowth so it DOES NOT grow hair.
I use coconut oil for so many other things so I thought to share.
1. COOKING: I love frying, especially eggs but I found out regular cooking oil is not really the best. Coconut oil is very different from most other cooking oils and contains a unique composition of fatty acids.The fatty acids are about 90% saturated.
This makes coconut oil highly resistant to oxidation at high heats. Hence its perfect oil for high-heat cooking methods like frying. Coconut oil tastes very good with almost anything from rice to sausages. Additionally, it consists almost entirely of Medium Chain Triglycerides. These fatty acids go straight from the digestive tract to the liver, where they are likely to be turned into ketone bodies and provide a quick source of energy for the brain
2. OIL PULLING: Oil pulling is one of the best ways to remove bacteria and promote healthy teeth and gums. It’s used primarily in Ayurvedic medicine, oil pulling is a fantastic oral detoxification procedure that is simply done by swishing a tablespoon of oil (typically coconut, olive or sesame oil) in your mouth for 10-20 minutes then spit it out. Oil pulling works by cleaning (detoxifying) the oral cavity in a similar way that soap cleans dirty dishes. It literally sucks the toxins out of your mouth and creates a clean, antiseptic oral environment that contributes to the proper flow of dental liquid that is needed to prevent cavities and disease. Best part is that it whitens the teeth too!
3. MOISTURISER: I use a coconut oil, vitamin E oil and Shea butter mixture everyday on my body -besides my face, it’s fairly comedogenic so I don’t bother. I start with areas sensitive to stretching and drying. It absorbs quickly and gives great shine. If you meet me in person my shoulders and legs are always glossy, not greasy but not dull. I love the way it looks in the sun and it helps to keep away flakes.
4. SHAVING AND AFTER SHAVE: I’m quite hairy so I shave very often, My legs weekly. Apply coconut oil to your legs, just a tea-spoon is fine. Then shave. I find that it doesn’t gunk up my shaving stick like shave gels/creams, instead it leaves my leg feeling silky, soft and itch free. I wash off in the shower with my regular soap, then follow-up with my vitamin E oil, shea butter and coconut oil mixture.
5. IMMUNE SYSTEM BUILDER: This is ingesting coconut oil orally. Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which is known to reduce candida, fight bacteria, and create a hostile environment for viruses. Many diseases today are causes by the overgrowth of bad bacteria, fungus, virus and parasites in the body. Coconut oil’s anti-fungal, bacterial, microbial and viral properties prevent sickness and strengthen the immune system. Oral consumption has been proven to be especially helpful when exposed to strep, candida, mono, pneumonia, hepatitis and Chlamydia. You can replace grains and sugar in your diet with coconut oil as your natural fuel source when you’re sick. Sugar feeds the growth of bad bacteria, so Instead you can take 1 table-spoon of coconut oil 2-3 times daily and see how your body responds.
6. MAKEUP REMOVER: Coconut oil is cheaper than most cleansing wipes or store-bought makeup remover, and it works better. Besides thoroughly removing all my eye makeup it leaves me feeling dewy after wash. You don’t require any excessive tugging as it takes it off easily.
7. LIP SCRUB: If you get dry lips you can make this homemade recipe to improve lip texture and colour. Add a table spoon of sugar, a tea-spoon of coconut oil and some drops of lemon juice. Mix it all together and use the sugar as an exfoliant. Scrub over lips and leave for a minute. Rinse off with water. This helps to reveal softer moisturised lips.
and that’s all!
Tell me what you use coconut oil for, or which of the above you’d like to try. Would love to read your thoughts…..